About Waters Edge Aquatic Design
Waters Edge Aquatic Design is an aquatic engineering and design firm based in the Kansas City metro area. Waters Edge specializes in the evaluation, planning, and design of water parks, aquatic parks, aquatic centers, natatoriums, water spray grounds, and civic water displays.
With over two decades of firm experience and projects throughout the country, we are an established leader in the aquatics market. Our growing client base includes municipalities, parks and recreation departments, hospitality, YMCA organizations, educational organizations, and private developments. We are a progressive and growing company that thrives on team collaboration, creativity, innovation, and passion with each project. Learn more about our firm at www.wedesignpools.com.
Waters Edge has a full-time opening for a Project Engineer who will specialize in a range of aquatic projects. Our team is looking for a driven professional who enjoys their work and who has a strong, technically sound engineering and project management background. This position is responsible for the planning, design, construction administration, and overall oversight of aquatic project development. The Project Engineer will work with a team to create design drawings and will apply calculations and engineering design principles as they pertain to water recreation facilities, including creating, modifying, and or/refining engineering plans, drawings, and exhibits.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
This list is intended to demonstrate the overall duties of the position and is not meant to be an all-inclusive list.
- Provide design support for structures or systems included in water recreation facilities
- Could provide, or assist with, creative conceptual design and spatial planning for water recreational features and amenities
- Serves as liaison to client, reviews and approves drawings and specifications, and provides technical assistance to the team as required
- Coordinates project activities with a wide variety of regulatory agencies as necessary
- Reviews scope of project, engineering, and client requirements, and perform research necessary to determine critical elements of design
- Evaluates existing facilities, prepares evaluation reports, master plans and feasibility studies
- Could conduct, or assist with, public presentations and meetings as required to obtain client and community expectations and preferences
- Receive client revisions and produces final design, drawings, specifications, and project costs
- Coordinate a variety of project information and issues with clients, contractors, and sub-consultants as necessary
- Conduct observational site visits to monitor progress and quality
- Review contractor submittals, shop drawings, and RFI’s
- Participate in industry events, associations, and conferences
Growth in position could include:
- Negotiates contracts, oversees project design, develops budgets, allocates resources to projects.
- Explores and secures business prospects, including selection of project team and oversight of project submission and/or proposal
Qualifications & Experience
An ideal candidate would have a bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural, Architectural, or Mechanical Engineering. Qualified EIT candidates who have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam are eligible to apply. Required skills and abilities include:
- Has a Professional Engineer’s license in Kansas, Missouri, and/or Iowa, or ability to obtain within a few years.
- Proficient in Microsoft office and other computer-based editing programs
- Self-starter with critical thinking skills and close attention to detail
- Positive attitude with a creative mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to write engineering reports and letters, including analysis, recommendations, and costing
- Ability to apply standard engineering formulas, including hydraulic analysis for pools and civic water displays
- Interest in designing chemical systems, filter systems, and structures for pools and civic water displays
- Ability to develop a set of design documents
- Ability to work with internal and external staff on project development and coordination
- Experience in water flow modeling, or calculations.
- AutoCAD, and/or Revit experience is preferred
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Work schedules are typically Monday – Friday
- Some travel via car and aircraft and overnight stays required
- Must be able to show examples of work product (e.g., drawings, concepts, construction documents, etc.)
- Medical coverage
- Dental & vision coverage
- Employee life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Medical HSA account
- Simple IRA plan
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick time (PTO)
- Starting pay for EIT candidates is $55,000+ (DOQ), and for Professional Engineer candidates is $80,000+ (DOQ). Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Apply for this position
"*" indicates required fields